Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Katie's Mom I am posting a reply Lenore gave to someone awhile ago about transitioning to the breast. I think it will be helpful for you.

Transition to the breast slowly. First using a bottle with a slower flow, and then slow flow nipple such as the AVENT with one holed slow flow nipples. Then we use the Lact-aid theaded through the bottle nipple placed on the breast and then slowly transition to a Medela Newborn Small Nipple Shield with the Lact-aid threaded through at the breast and then eventually, just the breast with the Lactaid an then just the breast. This may take many weeks to accomplish so go slow. If your baby takes to one thing, give it a day and then try the next and if he/she protests, stay a little while at the previous step until she/he's ready to move to the next step.

It's not wise to force your baby to the breast or to starve them so they will be hungry at the breast. All this does is frustrate them. A starving baby will not be in a position to learn anything. Approach this with love and patience and you should prevail.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Idaho
Idaho
How long were you taking the herbs and pumping? Were you getting a 1/2-1 oz total or each pumping session?

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Kansas
K
OP Offline
K
Kansas
Laurie, Thank you so much for dialoguing with me and for posting that information from Lenore. First of all in response to that information:

- Do you know what bottles would have a slower flow??
-We are using the AVENT one-holed slow flow nipple currently.
-Does she mean to place the bottle nipple on my own - or just near my breast?
- I have a Medela small 20 mm nipple shield. Is this the one she's talking about? It's doesn't say "newborn" on it.
- Is the Lactaid similar enough to Medela's Supplemental Feeding System for me to use that? (That is what I have.)
***Perhaps I should just email these questions to Lenore.***

As for your questions, I took Fenugreek about 3 weeks total and Reglan the first 2 weeks of that. I probably took Brewer's Yeast for 2 weeks also - the latter 2 weeks. I was pumping 1/2 - 1 oz each time, but then as Colic set in with my daughter that began to decrease, I believe due to the extreme fatigue and stress I was experiencing. Her colic is improving now, so I am starting to feel that I can pursue this again. Before I was just so exhausted and busy with her every moment that I could barely keep my head above the water.

Again, thank you for your help and talking with me. I have not shared my desire to get to breast with many b/c most people will just tell me to let it go and that it's okay. I just want to feel like I've done everything I can to provide what is best for Katie, and it kills me to not be giving her breast milk.

Thanks again,

Katie's Mom

Last edited by katiesmom; 09/18/06 06:55 PM.
Idaho
Idaho
I can answer some of that. You are certainly welcome to email Lenore too. The Avent 1 nipple is a good slow flow. When she says place the nipple she is talking over your own nipple. Then you transition to the medela shield over your own nipple. As for the size on that I am not sure. If it is the smallest then that would be the newborn size. Although I know many moms prefer the lact-aid to the SNS since it is what you have it is fine for you to use that.

Pumping 1/2-1 oz each time is a good amount to start off with. If you can get her to your breast with the supplementer and formula your milk supply will begin to grow steadily. After feeding her you can pump for ten minutes with a double pump to help your supply. Did you say what pump you have?

Kansas
K
OP Offline
K
Kansas
Thanks for your reply. I have a Medela Lactina pump...and I did get a direct response from Lenore to my questions...

Now I am just trying to address the issue with Domperidone. It's my understanding that I should at least have a doctor overseeing my "care." I'm just not sure how to do that at this point since they all seem scared off by the FDA...

PS - Why is the lactaid preferred over the Medela SFS?

Thanks again,

Katie's Mom

Katie's Mom
Idaho
Idaho
The lact-aid has to be sucked on to flow it is my understanding that the SNS flows freely. The lact-aid can be worn higher for fater flow and lower for slower flow, making the baby work harder to get the milk-more stimulation for production.

experienced member
experienced member
The issue with domperiodne is murky to say the least. The FDA made a big deal about it but the FDA talk paper that was picked up by the press did not have input from anyone in the lactation community. A few months after it made all the news, the FDA quietly put up this information on their website: how to obtain domperidone for gastric patients: http://www.fda.gov/cder/news/domperidone.htm It seems they do not have any fears about issues for these folks. And recently a ruling in Texas give compounding pharmacies in the US the ability to produce non-FDA approved medications with a doctor's prescription: http://www.aapsonline.org/nod/newsofday294.php
This is a good route to go but it can be VERY expensive to purchase domperidone from a compounding pharmacy, but once you have your prescription, you have the right to purchase your domperidone anywhere you choose which is why most mothers purchase from www.globaldrug.tv which obtains the dom from the actual pharmaceutical company that produces it. Many mothers who are unable to obtain the prescription, get the dom from global and then inform their doctors and ask to be monitored.

Esther

Canada
L
L
Canada
The issue concerning domperidone in the US is unfortunate. It is important for those of us who have used or are currently using domperidone in order to breastfeed our babies, to visit this website and complete the survey. The research is being conducted by Dr. Hope McGonigle : http://hopeandmegan.com/survey/index.html

This survey takes only a few minutes to complete. Your voice is important. You can make a difference.

Best,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.