Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#8001 09/15/06 10:04 PM
Kansas
K
OP Offline
K
Kansas
Is it safe and is it legal for someone in the U.S. to buy this drug through them since it's not approved here? This may be a dumb question, but I'm just wondering! (And WHY is it not approved in the U.S.?!?)

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
yes it is both safe and legal.
See the domperidone info on the breastfeeding page.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Idaho
Idaho

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Kansas
K
OP Offline
K
Kansas
Do you know where I can find the sources that the FDA information is based on?? My doctor is telling me it's illegal for him to write a prescription for me.

Katie's Mom

Katie's Mom
M
M
There are cardiac side effects with the medication that is why the FDA has banned it from the USA. I now need info on another protocol.

Idaho
Idaho
Make sure you are looking at the usage that produced those side effects. Was it IV usage? What was the dosage? Do you have a link to that info?
thanks, L
If you look at the link again you will see it is actually not banned by the FDA for personal use in the US.

Idaho
Idaho
http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/induced_lactation/domperidone_general.html This will give you more info on this as well. Click on the breastfeeding link at the top of this page and then scroll down to find all the info on Domperidone.

experienced member
experienced member
The cardiac effects have never been proven. In fact the FDA talk paper that was picked up by the press did not have input from anyone in the lactation community. A few months after it made all the news, the FDA quietly put up this information on their website: how to obtain domperidone for gastric patients: http://www.fda.gov/cder/news/domperidone.htm It seems they do not have any fears about cardiac issues for these folks. And recently a ruling in Texas give compounding pharmacies in the US the ability to produce non-FDA approved medications with a doctor's prescription: http://www.aapsonline.org/nod/newsofday294.php
This is a good route to go but it can be VERY expensive to purchase domperidone from a compounding pharmacy, but once you have your prescription, you have the right to purchase your domperidone anywhere you choose which is why most mothers purchase from www.globaldrug.tv which obtains the dom from the actual pharmaceutical company that produces it. Many mothers who are unable to obtain the prescription, get the dom from global and then inform their doctors and ask to be monitored.

Esther

Canada
L
L
Canada
The issue concerning domperidone in the US is unfortunate. It is important for those of us who have used or are currently using domperidone in order to breastfeed our babies, to visit this website and complete the survey. The research is being conducted by Dr. Hope McGonigle : http://hopeandmegan.com/survey/index.html

This survey takes only a few minutes to complete. Your voice is important. You can make a difference.

Best,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
Kansas
K
OP Offline
K
Kansas
"Many mothers who are unable to obtain the prescription, get the dom from global and then inform their doctors and ask to be monitored."

Can a doctor get in trouble for agreeing to monitor me? And does the "personal use" clause on the FDA thing include me using it to promote lactation for myself? I see Lenore saying it (http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/induced_lactation/domperidone_general.html ) Where do I find the government saying it, so I can show my doctor?

Personally, I find this whole thing to be ridiculous. All I want to do is nurse my baby and use a drug proven to be effective with little side effects....why is this WRONG? There has to be some other agenda going on here other than protecting me as a consumer... I am so FRUSTRATED.

Katie's Mom

Last edited by katiesmom; 09/20/06 12:37 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.