photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8254 11/15/06 02:38 AM
V
OP Offline
V
Hi all. I'm brand new here and am trying to induce lactation (without medications -- herbs and pumping only) in anticipation of the birth of our first child in mid-February. I've been pumping for four days, using a PIS Advanced, and I am so sore that I skipped pumping today. I just couldn't stand the thought. I've got the right size flanges. I've been using Lansinoh. I looked at the video on Medela's web site, and I think everything's working right. So am I supposed to be this sore? It's not nipple soreness; it's deep achy tenderness in my breasts. They also seem fuller and are just generally uncomfortable. I do have fibromyalgia, and I've read that many women with fibro find breastfeeding rather painful. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Valentine I am not sure about the fibro, I dont' know enough about that. What level are pumping at? You should not go over Medium suction. Also I found that I had to make sure that when my nipple was drawn into the horn that it was not pressed up against on side or the other but straight in or I would get sore. Are your nipples discolored at all?

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
V
OP Offline
V
Thanks for responding!

The PIS Advanced has an adjustable first stage and a single strength second stage. I'm using the lowest setting for the first stage. My nipples aren't rubbing, and they aren't discolored or even really sore. Just the breasts themselves are tender, like PMS tenderness, but much worse than I've had before.

Kansas
K
K
Kansas
I'm having the same experience...

Katie's Mom
Kansas
K
K
Kansas
Valentine,

Just wanted to say that I just switched from Medela Lactina to the Limerick and notice my breasts are not sore. Maybe your soreness is due to the pump you're using?? Just wondering.

I switched b/c my rental pump $ was starting to add up to much, but I am finding I really like my new pump better.

Katie's Mom
K
KJP Offline
K
Quote:
The PIS Advanced has an adjustable first stage and a single strength second stage.

I have a PIS Advanced and mine is fully adjustable. Hmm...
When I turn it on, I turn it to the middle of the dial and keep it there for the "let down" and the regular pumping.
Try turning the knob during the second stage and see if there's any difference.

When I first started pumping, I had it almost at the lightest setting so i could barely feel it, but it helped "toughen" my nipples. Just 2 days ago I turned it up and was happy to not feel pain AND to be rewarded with additional milk!

Make sure you're using it correctly and call Medela if you still have problems.

Co-breastfeeding mom to our son. Co-foster-mom to 7 previous babies.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.