photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8916 05/22/07 01:37 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Hi, everyone! I'm a newbie so I'll briefly introduce myself. We hope to adopt a newborn at the end of July/early August. So I'm getting a late start with inducing lactation. We have one biological son who I nursed for 3 1/2 years, weaning him a little over a year ago. I lactated for several more months - maybe into the fall?

I decided to try nursing our new baby and will probably start domperidone very soon - not sure if I have time for birth control pill to help or not. I may try fenugeek as well.

I did pull out my Ameda Purely Yours pump yesterday and was surprised to see drops of clearish-honey-colored-sticky milk. So I've pumped several times already today and may start pumping during the night as well.

My question is: is the Ameda Purely Yours "good enough" for what I need to do, or do I need a hospital grade pump? I researched and researched the issue and found that the Ameda Purely Yours will simultaneously double pump, rather than alternate, which supposedly is better. And it is considered "professional", along the lines of the Medela Pump'n'Style, I believe. FYI, I was never good at pumping before - my son never had a bottle at all. It took me forever to get two ounces, which is the most I ever collected in one pumping session that would last up to 30 minutes. Now I wonder if it was me or the pump...?

Anyone else successful with incuding lactation using an Ameda Purely Yours?

Thanks!

M
OP Offline
M
Just wanted to update: I rented an Ameda Lact-E today and feel much better about it than the Purely Yours (which I can still have in the car, etc.)...

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Mariah if you can do the protocol I would. You will have much better success even doing the accelerated for 30 days than you will just pumping with herbs and dom.
I am not familar with the Lact-E. I know the purely yours is not hospital grade and isn't recommended for inducing lactation.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Lalle #8939 05/23/07 11:52 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Lalle,

The Ameda/Egnell Lact-E is also a hospital-grade pump that I saw recommended on other sites. They also had the Medela Classic but the lactation consultant said I could rent either one for the purpose I needed it for - and actually suggested the Lact-E (it's an older model)...? Anyone else know? If it's not good enough then I'll take it back but it seems to be great. They tested the suction on it before I left (up to 350 or so max, when double pumping, simultaneous); the cycles are not adjusted and are 55-60 per second.

I also sent you a PM, Lalle... smile

Originally Posted By: Lalle
Mariah if you can do the protocol I would. You will have much better success even doing the accelerated for 30 days than you will just pumping with herbs and dom.
I am not familar with the Lact-E. I know the purely yours is not hospital grade and isn't recommended for inducing lactation.

Last edited by MariahDC; 05/23/07 12:15 PM.
Idaho
Idaho
Mariah I answered your pm smile
As for the pump I think you are fine. I didn't realise you are still lactating and that does make a difference as to what pump you use. For women who are inducing lactation having a protocol recommended pump is key. But for women who are already lalctating and trying to build up their supply other pumps are good. I believe the Ameda is a good pump.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.