photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
I think I have finally discovered the reason I have been producing only a few drops of milk for my son, I have non-developed breasts, or under-developed breast tissue. Sigh. I have been taking Fenugreek, Dom, blessed thistle, eating all the "right" things, drinking mother's milk tea. What can I do now?

Does anyone know if Goat's Rue is really helpful with this problem? Any personal experience or encouragement would be greatly appreciated. I just might go crazy if I can't find a solution.

I have been working extremely hard at making milk for the last month, I'm not about to give up now! Its so worth it for my little guy.

Annie

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Annie did you do the protocol using birth control pills? Adding the goats rue should help. It is helpful for women who cannot take the pill for the development of the breast

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
A
OP Offline
A
I actually gave birth to my son a month ago, and have had problems lactating from the get go. I began taking 30mg of dom 3 times a day since he was 2 weeks, and have been hoping it would kick things into gear. So far I've only seen a slight increase (or maybe thats just hopeful thinking!)

I'll pick up some goats rue today and give that a try - thanks for the encouragement with that. Any other suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I left a message with a lactation consultant yesterday, and hope to get an appointment soon. I'm a little afraid that they might discourage my efforts, or tell me to start living with my pump attached to my breast! (I've been using a supplementor with most feedings, and have been happier with that) I sure hope I can get some answers and come up with a plan of action that will actually help my supply....we'll see.

Annie

Idaho
Idaho
Have you had your latch checked? Often improper latching causes breastfeeding issues. You can watch a video here http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/abindex.html scroll down to near the bottom and look for Video ClipsThere are three of them. But do still get your latch checked. Also you can up your dom. I would add 10mg to one of the doses for a few days and see if that makes a difference, if so then you can gradually up the others to 10mg more.
Let us know what the lactation consultant says.
As far as pumping you could pump for 5-10 minutes with a double pump after feeds. But don't drive yourself crazy doing that, it doesn't have to be all feeds. No need to live with the pump attached to you.

Did you have any previous breast surgeries or complications during birth?

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
A
OP Offline
A
Thats the funny thing, I've never had any brest surgeries, I had such a great, healthy pregnancy with no complications, and I had a drug free vaginal birth. I did have some severe swelling, but that went down over a week or two, which I guess is pretty normal. Nothing seems to add up to not lactating!

So I did see the lactation consultant. And, the good news is that everything I'm doing it correct, my brests are not underdeveloped, my latch is fine, my body is in perfect condition for making milk. But the bad news is, that I'm still only making little drops of milk! She recommended that I see an endocrinologist to get my hormone levels checked. I'm not too hopeful since I've already had my thyroid and prolactin levels checked and both were fine. But I'm still praying for a miracle...and perhaps that could come in the form of some homrone meds... I'll find out next Monday.

With the consultant's recomendation I am only pumping if my son nurses for fewer than 15 min with the supplementor, or he just takes a bottle. So thats usually just once or twice a day, thank goodness.

She didn't think goat's rue would be affective in this situation, but I'm wondering if I should still give it a try. What do you think?

has anyone had experience with out of balance hormone levels while trying to lactate? I'm starting to feel very discouraged. I just can't understand why this is happening, even though I'm working so hard all day every day to give my son breast milk. I feel like such a failure, and my poor little guy is one suffering because of it. I've been thinking about giving up...but I'm just not sure I can.

~Annie

Idaho
Idaho
Annie don't give up. Breastfeeding is about more than just how much milk they get. It is nurturing and beneficial to both Mommy and baby. It is a sweet relationship that isn't found at the end of a bottle. Even the smallest amount of breastmilk is beneficial to his growth and health. Hang in there. :)You are not a failure you are loving your baby and what you are giving him is a lasting gift.

E
E
Just a quick note to say respectfully that the bonding can happen at the end of a bottle if it has to. I pumped for 13 months with my 3rd daughter because she had a cleft palate and we did have that sweet nurturing relationship.

Hmmmm I was wondering if by chance your using any the the things that inhibit your milk? Are you on birth control pills or the depo shot? Do you cook with sage,parsley or eat peppermints? Look at your diet and see if there are ANY things that can be stunting your milk production.

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
Idaho
Idaho
ergent of course you are right and in your situation you had milk to pump. This momma at this point doesn't so she is nursing her baby with a supplementer using formula I don't want her thinking that breast feeding is only about the milk. smile

Good point Nona. I hadn't thought of that.

Idaho
Idaho
Annie how are things going?

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.