photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9279 07/16/07 05:11 AM
Denver, CO
OP Offline
Denver, CO
So my husband and I have decided we'd like to adopt a baby. We have found a birth mother through our neighbor, but are unsure if that baby is the right baby for us. So we get this email from some close friends who know we are looking to adopt. They got a phone call asking them if they wanted to adopt this 2.5-3 week old little guy. They don't feel the situation is right for them, so they passed the (little) information to my husband and I. He needs a home yesterday.

So we are now considering adopting this little guy. I don't know anything about him right now, but I want to be prepared should he be the little boy God has for us.

I have three biological children 6.5 yrs (nursed for 10.5 months), 5 yrs old (nursed for 13 months) and 3 years old (nursed for 15 months old).

HELP!? What do I do now? I was thinking of starting for the baby that is to be born in Dec. But I know nothing about starting *tomorrow*?!

I would love any imput! Do I need to go to a dr to get a script for these meds I'm seeing that are suggested? Wow, my mind is a blur!

Thanks for ANY suggestions! I will be checking back FREQUENTLY!

Jamie

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Jamie I answered you in the other thread you posted on. I suggest you go on the accelerated protocol. You cannot get Dom in the US anymore. But you can buy it from www.inhousepharmacy.com you can also get the BCP there as well or from your regular doctor. You should be in touch with your doc while on the protocol it also allows you to educate about adoptive breastfeeding. I would print off the protocol and take it in.
Here is what I said in the other thread: The accelerated protocol is the way to go in a situation like yours. Get on the bcp (Ortho 1/35 or Yasmin active pills only no sugar pills)) and dom in combination for at least 30 days. Nurse baby using a lact-aid or SNS. Do not pump or take herbs until after stopping the bcp. Once you stop the bcp add in the herbs Fenugreek 500-700 mg 3 tabs 3x a day and Blessed Thistle 300-400mg 3 tabs 3x a day. continue to nurse with lact-aid pumping after feeds when you can.
You can usually get an SNS from a lactation consultant. It will be fine to start out with but the lact-aid is better and you can order one here http://www.lact-aid.com/
You may nurse for quite awhile with the lact-aid and that is okay. It sounds like your 3 year old stopped nursing about a year ago so that maybe helpful you are still considered inducing lactation not re-lactating.
Come back for support and answers whenever you need them. smile

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Idaho
Idaho
I also sent you a private message. smile

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Canada
Canada
Hi Jamie!
I was in a similar situation a few months ago, I had no time to prepare before receiving my baby and also had bfed our bio daughter (weaned for 18 months). Do you still have drops of milk when you stimulate your breast? I did and I didn't have to go on the accelerated protocol, didn't take the bcp, only dom and Goat Rue. It took about 3 months to build a full supply. Of course I had to supplement during that time but it went well and I'm still nursing.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.