Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9330 07/20/07 02:44 PM
B
OP Offline
B
How do I go about having my insurance Co cover pump purchase/rental for adoptive breastfeeding??

Thanks!
Erin

1year on regular protocol.
Nursing/pumping for one month for our sweet girl!!
Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
If your insurance will cover a breast pump it doesn't matter if the child is one you've given birth to or one that is adopted. They cannot discriminate between the two. You simply need to find out if they cover the cost of a breast pump and what is required. Tell them you are lactating and to increase production you need a hospital grade pump. They may have you get a doctors prescription.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
M
experienced member
experienced member
M
I posted a while back about this, the medical supply store I brought my prescription to tried to tell me that only a "real" mother could have a pump... of course I replied that I AM the REAL mother, needless to say my husband blew up on a supervisor there and I have my pump. They even ate my co-pay.

I did get a prescription from my doctor for it.

Idaho
Idaho
I remember that.
It is unbelievable to me how uninformed people are. We had an issue with insurance before our adoption was finalized. We had legal guardianship of our DD at this point. Anyway, my lawyer said that an adoptive child is to be treated no different than a birth child according to the law. I told that to insurance and they shut up. That medical supply company could have gotten into a lot of trouble and the supervisor probably knew that.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
M
experienced member
experienced member
M
Yeah, Lenore and I emailed, she was going to send a letter on my behalf to help educate them, but I never got the womans name. Around here we have some names we use to refer to her, but they aren't "right" for a letter, lol.

Idaho
Idaho
lol smile

LOL can't say I blame you for the names.

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
M
experienced member
experienced member
M
Its ok, I'm usually a very strong person, my husband has rarely seen me cry... well... the supervisor called the house after my husband left a 20 minute long nasty message and I was really rattled by the whole thing.... so... supervisor gets on the phone and I start crying, lol... I'm going on and on about its hard enough to face my own infertility without having this woman shove it in my face. I went on and on about how my body didn't work to have children, but that didn't mean I wasn't a mother and it didn't mean it wouldn't work to nurse my child when he/she comes home through the miracle of adoption... LOL... this supervisor is never going to let anyone say anything nasty about adoption again, lol, he's just going "I'm so sorry, Its ok, I'm so sorry". LOL LOL LOL Usually I'd be yelling and angry, but I have to tell you, the crying bit is effective. I'm going to have to try this next time my hubby and I are having an argument... LOL

Canada
L
L
Canada
You know, I'm always happy to write a letter in support of an adoptive breastfeeding mother but there's a certain satisfaction in being able to get your way on your own. I'm so happy things worked out for you and that you have such a supportive spouse.

Best, Lenore

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
M
experienced member
experienced member
M
Thanks! It did work out very well for us. I am still waiting for a good argument with my hubby to try crying though... lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.