Print Thread
#9346 07/21/07 11:17 PM
M
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
M
Hello ...

I had post partum really bad after the birth of my youngest son, I think a lot of it had to do with my older son dying, but just the same, it was pretty bad. I was talking to the psych that I saw then, and she thinks it best if I go back on an anti-depressent for the first 6 months or so, just in case. She thinks it would be best to be pro-active. I asked her what one is best to take while breastfeeding, and she said she "believes" that Zoloft is the least likely to effect the baby, but she told me to double check with my family doctor... so I did, and my family doctor told me she doesn't know but to double check with hte psych... argh!!

What are your experiences?? What would you suggest?? Since this is being only "pro-active" maybe I should wait until I get symptoms?? I put a call into my old OB, but he's head of the high risk department ... I told them not to have him rush to call me (should he be napping or something) since I don't even have a baby yet...

Any guidance in this area would be great!! I think a lactation consultant is probably better suited to answer this than a doctor anyway. After my c-section they told me that morphine and tylenol 3's don't get into breastmilk at all... I just had a sleepy baby, lol, as soon as the lactation consultant set me straight and I sucked it up a little bit on the pain end of it my baby was no longer super sleepy, who would have guessed!! LOL

Thanks in advance!!

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
I wouldn't be proactive, that is just me though> I would wait for any symptoms. I had PPD with my first but not at all with any of my other children. You know what to look for so just stay aware. Maybe having a script for something safe just in case but I certainly would not automatically take drugs unless I needed them. Again, just me, I hardly take an aspirin or tylenol for a headache. LOL

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
M
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
M
Me too... It seems stupid to me to take a drug when we don't know if I'm going to have ppd again, and - like I said I think it had more to do with one of my children dying than anything else. Even at its worst, I was not a danger to myself or any of my children, and this time I'm much more educated about my symptoms.

LOL... I had a massive headache and thought I'd take something for it (had promised the kids a trip to the zoo, and was not going to be well enough, that is how bad), well - I didn't even have tylenol in the house, lol. I had two choices - chug a whole bunch of baby tylenol or take an Aleve, which my husband had bought several months ago for something or another. I read the Aleve bottle, and it said take 1-2 every 8 hours, so I took 1. I figured I'd rather dump this milk I'm making (since I don't have a baby yet, but have 2000 ounces) for a few days and have my headache go away. So, I took 1 Aleve, and only the one time. I broke out in the most horrible rash!! I looked and felt like a lizard, lol. My doctor gave me a script for a steroid to take for 10 days, but that she said will definately be in my milk, and I should continue to dump the milk for 2-4 days after I stop, well... I could be getting my baby any day and don't want to not be able to put the baby to breast right away, so I've suffered! LOL. The rash is basically gone though.

I think next time I'll deal with the headache. LOL

Thanks for the input.... yeah, my psych is pill happy. All she does. I got a lot more help with my issues from my Pastor and his counselling than I ever got from her or her pills.

Central Florida
Central Florida
well I will be praying for ya!
Keep us updated!
Kim

Kimberlee Jo
wife to Jim
sahm
proud to be Abigail's mommy
Idaho
Idaho
mommy2three how exciting that you could be getting your baby any day now. Sorry you are having to deal with the rash.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
M
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
M
LOL, yeah, the rash is nasty, but I used to get one just like it when I went through puperty... right up till I had my first bio at 21. I'll live.

I'll let you know as soon as I hear about our new daughter!!

M
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
M
Thanks for the prayers too!! smile I never turn those down. smile

Zoloft is the one that is safe for breastfeeding. You won't know your on anything. It won't make you loopy or anything. You just find your not constantly emotional.

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.