photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9538 08/06/07 07:15 PM
OP Offline
Hello everyone, Great news!! I have been given the chance to foster care for a 5 month old baby girl she is in my care now but she may be going back to her mother who is in rehab at the moment. I am unsure if it would be right to try and breast feed a child that may have to go back to her mother in 6 months or so. Would it be wrong of me to nurse her knowing that I may not get to keep her? I would like to give her the very best while she is in my care I just feel a little weird about it for some reason, like it wouldn't be right of me, so I need some second opinions? Thanks a lot for reading this post I need feedback a.s.a.p.

Married to Steven Mother of Adopted Blessings Tyler 8/04 and Enrique 11/06
Induced lactation since 9/06
Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Richette I am not sure I would do it. As much as you might want to I actually think it isn't permitted with the system. I would however pump my milk and give that to her in a bottle. smile

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
OP Offline
That's what I thought, and I wanted make sure. She's not involved with the system or anything I'm doing volunteer forster care I guess you can say, per her fathers request, and chances are her mother isn't going to come back for her. She left when the baby was 3 weeks old and never returned so this whole sittuation is a mess. I have enough milk for Enrique but I'm unsure if I could pump enough for her too, but it won't hurt to try. Thanks Lalle =0)

Idaho
Idaho
Oh well that is a different situation. Could you ask the father if he minds? Tell him you breast feed your adopted boy and it has been so beneficial that you are sure it would be good for her too. If he has no objections then I would go for it.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Thats what I would do to.. ask if he minds you nursing this baby.

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
OP Offline
Well, he was all for it considering the cost of her formula, she is on nutramigen for colic and it's $26.00 per can at walgreens! The Doctors told him she can be put on regular Enfamil but we have to do it slowly so she is used to an entirely different taste of milk.
I tried to get her to latch on but she gets so mad just being in the cradle position. Should I try when she is somewhat tired? Is there other positions that might help? My next step is to thread the lact-aide through a nipple shield see if she latches that way? I might just stick to pumping in a bottle but with a 3 year old a crawling 9 month old and a 5 month old.. it's a little difficult finding time to pump. Enrique was a lot more cooperative with the whole nursing thing I don't know what else to try? Also, looks like dad is going to win custody which means I'll most likely help him raise her for the first few years I couldn't be happier for him =0)

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.