Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
TX
J
OP Offline
J
TX
I breastfed our first adopted daughter for a while over 2 years ago and used the accelerated protocol and achieved about half what she needed. We couldn't stick with it for several reasons, but between what I had pumped and donor milk, she still had breast milk for about 5 months.

For our second adoption, we didn't think we'd have time to prepare so I gave up on the idea (and boy were we right about not having time!). We got a last minute call and boom! The baby is home. We had an extra hospital stay due to some medical issues, but we are home now. She has BAD reflux, but seems to be doing well otherwise. She kept after my breast, so I gave it to her and she TOOK IT!!! It got me thinking that maybe we should give breastfeeding a try after all. She has been bottle fed for 2 weeks though. I do still have my supplementer, but no longer have my pump. I do not think we can afford the domperidone this time around, but I think we might be able to swing the herbs.

So... worth it???

Joy, mommy to three adopted blessings ages 5 and 3, and new preemie (born at 33 weeks)
extra helpful experienced member
I would nurse her! Go for it! What do you have to loose? You can still have your nursing relationship. Remember there are moms that adopt overseas and their babies are 7 months to a year old.. And a lot of them start nursing then. You have good age to do it. You will probably regret it if you don't. smile

Last edited by Nona; 08/21/07 03:05 AM.

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
TX
J
OP Offline
J
TX
Well, that didn't take long. We just tried with the SNS and it did NOT go well. She totally refused one side, and even the side she took was awful. She got mad, I got mad... yucko. Bad idea I guess!

Joy, mommy to three adopted blessings ages 5 and 3, and new preemie (born at 33 weeks)
Idaho
Idaho
Try to slip the tubing in after she is latched on. The sns flows really fast for some babies so it may have just thrown her off. Plus with the reflux the way the flow was may have bothered her. Try a different position. You can continue to comfort nurse her without the sns also. I would still take the herbs and nurse her in whatever way you can manage.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Canada
L
L
Canada
Dear Joybells,

Come on honey, you can't make a decision based on one attempt. Have you contacted a board certified lactation consultant to assist you? That's the best advice I can give you.

And if you want to bring in your milk supply you can still do it. Many mothers have done so with a baby at the breast. You can do a modified acelerated protocol for 30 days while breastfeeding but no pumping until the 30 days are complete or try goat's rue and domperidone with baby at the breast and pump after feeds to build your milk supply. These are just two options. You can also just put baby to breast with the supplementer. That's the way it used to be done. Works for some moms.

Best, Lenore

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.