Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Minnesota
D
OP Offline
D
Minnesota
Hi. I'm new to this board. Our homestudy was just finished and we are now waiting for a birth mother match. We have no idea how long it could take, or even if it will happen. I have breastfed 2 biological children and would like to breastfeed an adopted baby too, but without taking any hormones or drugs, just herbs and pumping.

I would love to hear how some of you dealt with the unknown time frame.

Kris
Deja Vu Mommy

Canada
Canada
Hi Kris, I saw your message a few days ago and didn't really know what to answer...but since nobody seems to know, I'll try!

I was in a similar situation last year, waiting to be matched with a baby in a foster-adopt program, we didn't know when it would happen or even how old would the baby be! Having breastfed my bio daughter for 2 1/2 year, I wanted to bf that baby too.

I hesitated a long time before starting any preparation. But I did collect all the information I could. Like you I didn't want to take medication. I was lucky, I still had milk - just a little drop.

I went to the adoptive breastfeeding clinic and met with Lenore. She suggested that I take GoatRue and Domperidone and pump. After she explained me the fonction and use of the Domperidone I decided would take it... later, when I would be ready to start!
I didn't want to be pumping for months before having our baby, I think I didn't really believe it would happen some day! I needed to be sure there was a baby for us, I had lived enough deceptions in fertility clinic. The baby had to be real before I could start anything!

So I started the preparation when we received the first call saying "we have a baby, that might be perfect for you."
It took, the baby and me, a little time to get use to each other (he was 4 months old, bottlefed from birth). Then it took 3 months to achieve a full supply, and I'm still bfing him.

That's my story. But if your question is really How did I deal with the unknowns... My approach was I'll deal with it when I'll be there. I wouldn't say it was easy but it worked for me.

good luck!
Jalx

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.