Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9735 09/04/07 01:10 AM
T
OP Offline
T
My situation is that my wife is pregnant and our daughter is due Nov 24. She is not into breastfeeding, I convinced her to pump while she is home on maternity leave. Well here is the thing she found this site and asked me if I would be interested in trying to induce and I am sooooo excited. I have never been pregnant so I am told it is unlikely that I will be successful. I am taking Blessed Thistle and Fenugreek and pumping for 20 min four times a day. After the first day I was getting a sticky clear fluid coming out of my nipples but that has stopped and I am wondering about this. Also I am suddenly very tired all the time and my nipples are sore. I am using the Medela PIS Advanced on the lowest setting. Well I really want this to work and I am hoping to find some answers here.

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
You can use her pumped milk in a lact-aid to nurse your daughter.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
M
M
It is possible to induce lactation if you have not been pregnant. La Leche League has a new book out with lots of information called "Breastfeeding an Adopted Baby and Relactation" by Elizabeth Horman.

A friend of mine (never pregnant) was able to provide a full milk supply to her adopted baby by pumping for 3 months before arrival, and putting him to the breast at birth. Every body is different, there are no gaurantees. Keep pumping, and put your daughter to the breast right after birth. Supplement with your wife's breastmilk with a nursing supplementer as needed.

Do some more research. This is an option for you!

Idaho
Idaho
Even women who have had hysterectomies can induce lactation> Yes, lactating does not require that you have been pregnant. It only requires that you have breasts.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks for all your encouragement. Does anyone know why my breasts would stop producing any fluid after they had already started on the first day? And I have noticed that many people are only pumping 10 min instead of 20 what is the reason for this? many times a day and fo rhow long should I be pumping?

Idaho
Idaho
You want to work up to what would be a newborn schedule which is around the clock. basically 8 times a day, once during the night. Double pumping for, I would say 15 minutes would be good. You may also want to think about trying Domperidone, it helped me to produce some milk before I did the full protocol.

T
OP Offline
T
So should I back down on my pumping? I am worried about causing inflammation of my ducts. I am currently pumping 4-5times a day for about 20min each time. Is this to much to start out with?

Idaho
Idaho
I don't think that 4-5 times a day is too much. Trying to lactate the way you are requires diligence in pumping. SO the more you pump for up until the baby is born will be helpful. More sessions and any where from 10-15 minutes with a double pump

Canada
L
L
Canada
I hope you don't mind, I thought I'd check in and see how you're doing now? How long have you been pumping? And how is your milk supply? Are you getting consistent amounts? Typically there would be nmore in the AM than the PM because the supply tends to shadow our circadian rhythm. Also, do you have functioning ovaries? They can provide some hormonal support.

Best, Lenore

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
T
OP Offline
T
I don't have any milk yet. I do have functioning ovaries. My girlfriend only had one so we decided to try her first then I could carry her eggs if she couldn't get or stay pregnant. I am currently pumping3-4x a day. It is more important to pump more times a day or for a longer duration of time. I am active dutty military and cannot tell my co workers that I am breatfeeding my girlfriends baby. i can get away in the bathroom to pump but only once at 15-20 min duration but probably twice at 5-10 min duration. I could still pump longer at home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.