photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
A
Lalle, thank you for the encouragement.
I usually don't nurse without the lact-aid, even at first, because my baby gets fussy if I don't put it in right away. I think she likes the better flow of the lact-aid or something. But will try without at first and see what happens. Maybe things have changed now that she is older and sucking better.

Your questions:
She breastfeeds about 6-8 times a day, maybe for 15 minutes each feed. Sometimes it is when I'm getting her ready for sleeping and then I just leave her on slow-sucking till the milk is gone which takes half an hour.
I did try pumping after each feed and after a week I quit (rented Medela symphony). I was getting maybe 1/4 of an ounce from pumping with the pump and then more hand expressing. I was only able to do it because my parents were visiting and could help take care of baby and my 3 year old. By the end of one week I started to feel like I was just nursing and pumping all the time and not bonding with baby or being with my son. I guess there are trade offs.

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Some babies don't like to nurse without it true. Try nursing her when she isn't famished without it, Or comfort nurse without it. I used to lower my lact-aid as low as I could get it so that it was harder for my daughter to empty. How much formula or breastmilk is she taking at each feeding?

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
A
A
She is taking 4 ounces of supplement per feeding. I also started her on solids now, a bit of rice cereal with apple sauce twice a day (she loves it!).

Lalle, didn't you go on the accelerated protocol when your daughter was 15 months old and successfully increase your supply? How was your supply before and how was it after?

Idaho
Idaho
Yes, I did. smile I made about 1/3 of Her needs before and I did away with supplements after. Of course she was eating solids and drinking from a cup but I nursed her without supplements after the protocol. Are you thinking about doing the accelerated?

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
A
A
Yes, I am thinking about doing the accelerated protocol as the only option left for increasing my supply. Have you heard of other people who already had a supply but it was low going on the accelerated and then being able to increase a lot like you? Is there a risk of completely losing your supply?... do you lose it while on the protocol?

Idaho
Idaho
you can have a drop in supply while on the protocol yes. But you are already nursing with the supplementer and so she will still be feeding at your breast. As soon as you go off the protocol it will boost back up.

A
A
Lalle, you are inspiring. How long did you go on the accelerated protocol and which BCP did you take?
(I feel bad I've stolen this thread from "Second"... will switch over to the med interventions after this).

S
Second Offline OP
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
S
Actually, I was just getting ready to post my medication question, myself. I originally posted this on both natural and medical interventions. Since the thread has been going along nicely here, I would think it makes sense to just keep it all here, unless that's against group etiquette since this is headed in a medical direction.

My question is: I understand I may need to take Dom or other ingestibles to increase my supply. We have no idea when we will get the baby. It could take 6 weeks or 2 years and we could have 6 hours to 3 months notice. What do I take, when do I start, how much do I take?

I guess I should buy a supplementer of some sort to have on hand. I will start researching these. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Idaho
Idaho
Aloe I was on the accelerated for 42 days. We experienced the loss of my oldest sister while I was on it so I didn't stop at 30 days because I didn't want to have to worry about pumping while traveling for memorial services etc... and that is what Lenore suggested that I do. At the time I did the protocol we were using Diane 35 but that pill is no longer suggested.

Second. I think Nona is a good one to answer you. She has been on the protocol long term at various times. I will suggest the lact-aid as far as the supplementer goes.
You can read about the protocols if you click on the breastfeeding section up top.

S
Second Offline OP
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
S
Another question based on current circumstances:

I have rented a medela lactina and am working with an NICU lactation consultant who has experience in relactation for adoption. (I was referred to her by the mom of the adopted baby I've been donating my surplus milk to for the last year.) I may buy a limerick, I'm not sure yet.

I've been getting about 2 ounces a day for the last 1 1/2 years using an Ameda Purely Yours. Some days I've struggled to get that amount. I do not want to pump every 2 hours since I have a toddler to attend to, he still nurses every 3 or 4 hours (though I don't think he really gets that much lately,) and we haven't even finished the homestudy, so who knows when we'll get a baby. Once I get a heads up on a baby, then I'll pump more often. I'm also holding off on any drugs/herbs until I see what just pumping does. I have eaten instant oatmeal the last 2 days.

This is day 3 of pumping. I've gotten in 4 20 minute sessions plus a bit extra during nap time each day. The first day I got 4 ounces, yesterday I got 6 ounces and today I got 4 ounces. I think my breasts may feel a little fuller, though I can't say for sure.

When just pumping, how long does it take to build up your milk supply? I'm not relactating, just trying to increase my 21 month old supply. The LC said to do this for a week and we'll evaluate then. I'm only at day 3 so I wouldn't want to bother the LC at this point (although I couldn't if I wanted to since it's the weekend.) I'm just wondering what I can expect and what kind of time frame to anticipate.

Thanks

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.