Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
How often are you pumping during the day? What kind of a pump do you use? As for the herbs there is no side effect for the baby. Eating oatmeal at least once a day helps too.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Texas
M
mommy1+ Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Texas
I'm pumping 3 times a day at 7:30 at 1:00 and at 6:30 and I'm using the Medela Pump N Style Breast Pump

Idaho
Idaho
Is it possible to pump more often? The rule is to pump when you miss a feeding so if you are missing say 5 feedings during the day then you should be pumping 5 times while you are away from your baby. More then any herb or supplement you add to your diet increased pumping will boost your supply. If you could add even just one more pumping it would help so much.

Last edited by Lalle; 10/02/07 07:00 PM.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Texas
M
mommy1+ Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Texas
unfortunately I can't because work schedules-- and supervisors who only allow 2 15 minute breaks. and 15 minutes is not enough time to get much. I usually get to work at about 7:30 and pump til 8, then I'll take a full 30 minute break right after lunch from 1 to 1:30 to pump again, and finally at home at about 6:30 after I've picked up my son from my mother's home. I'm kind of limited.

Idaho
Idaho
Okay that makes sense. I assume you are nursing more on the weekends then? If you could do two 10 minute pumpings in the place of that one after lunch it would be helpful because more often is actually better than duration of one sitting. But if you can't then keep doing what you are and nurse bunches when he is with you. 18 oz of pumping a day is nothing to sneeze at. smile most of us would be super pleased with that.

Texas
M
mommy1+ Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Texas
I normally do not pump on the weekends. My baby knows that when momma is around, the bottle is gone. I will be changing from 2 15 mintues to 3 10s. So it would be better to cut the 2 pumps shorter, - even though my milk continues to flow?

Idaho
Idaho
Do you have any problem keeping up with him on the weekends? If not then I would stay with what is working for you. Typically more often is better, but it is also important to empty your breasts. I say it is your call.

Texas
M
mommy1+ Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Texas
we do fine on the weekends, but thank you-- I will be making that extra pump during my work schedule to help.

I also have another question,

When it comes time for me to have another child, is there anything that I could take before birth to help the process move along easier? I'm asking because this is my first child and I had such a hard time getting started,but I did not give up and also because a friend of mine is due in about 6 weeks and has been asking me questions regarding my experience with breastfeeding.

Idaho
Idaho
The biggest thing I would suggest to you & your friend is get with a board certified lactation consultant. And keep going back until you are through every hurdle. They are there to help and it is so important to get off to a good start. A good latch is key and having an LC right away to help you latch then having your latch checked again once your milk comes in. Nursing on demand and no less than every 2-2.5 hours during the day. Establishing the milk from the start takes dedication but is so much easier than trying to correct problems later.

Texas
M
mommy1+ Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Texas
thank you!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.