Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#9915 09/27/07 08:35 PM
Texas
M
mommy1+ Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Texas
i started taking fenugreen and Blessed thistle, 3 capsuels of each 3 times a day, but I was wondering if there were any kind of side effects that I may need to know about.... I was reading that if i'm not smelling like maple syrup then I'm not taking enough fenugreek, what should I do-- increase by how much?

also, do i continue taking my prenatal vitamin at the same time?

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Continue taking your prenatals yes. Fenugreek may make you smell a little sweet. I think it is more in some than others. You have the amount right.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Texas
M
mommy1+ Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Texas
what should I expect as far as production? will there be a significant increase in flow, or will the richness of the milk change? I work during the day and usually pump about 3 times a day, pumping close to 18 oz total.

Idaho
Idaho
It helps to keep your supply building along with the pumping. The fenugreek is the main herb for production. Did you do the protocol? Are you taking Dom?

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Texas
M
mommy1+ Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Texas
no, I didn't know there was a protocal to follow, can you point me in the right direction please?

Last edited by mommy1+; 10/01/07 08:35 PM. Reason: extra info
Texas
M
mommy1+ Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Texas
also, is there any kind of effect to the baby?

Idaho
Idaho
Are you nursing right now? An adopted child or a biological child. If you are adopting what is your time frame? Are you currently pumping? A little background and I can point you in the right direction.

Idaho
Idaho
Sorry I see you are pumping so the main question is are you nursing a baby right now or building a supply?

Idaho
Idaho
http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/abindex.html
There is all kinds of info here too.

Texas
M
mommy1+ Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Texas
this is my biological son, and i am nursing in the evenings and in the early morning, before I drop him off with my mother or mother-in-law. He is now 4 months old and has started eating 5 oz, but I know that I'm not making enough for the 4 feedings while I'm away. Since I'm not making enought for those feedings, i have asked that my mother mix in 1oz of formula to supplement what I am not able to produce. I will be looking at the website today.

Idaho
Idaho
How often are you pumping during the day? What kind of a pump do you use? As for the herbs there is no side effect for the baby. Eating oatmeal at least once a day helps too.

Texas
M
mommy1+ Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Texas
I'm pumping 3 times a day at 7:30 at 1:00 and at 6:30 and I'm using the Medela Pump N Style Breast Pump

Idaho
Idaho
Is it possible to pump more often? The rule is to pump when you miss a feeding so if you are missing say 5 feedings during the day then you should be pumping 5 times while you are away from your baby. More then any herb or supplement you add to your diet increased pumping will boost your supply. If you could add even just one more pumping it would help so much.

Last edited by Lalle; 10/02/07 07:00 PM.

Texas
M
mommy1+ Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Texas
unfortunately I can't because work schedules-- and supervisors who only allow 2 15 minute breaks. and 15 minutes is not enough time to get much. I usually get to work at about 7:30 and pump til 8, then I'll take a full 30 minute break right after lunch from 1 to 1:30 to pump again, and finally at home at about 6:30 after I've picked up my son from my mother's home. I'm kind of limited.

Idaho
Idaho
Okay that makes sense. I assume you are nursing more on the weekends then? If you could do two 10 minute pumpings in the place of that one after lunch it would be helpful because more often is actually better than duration of one sitting. But if you can't then keep doing what you are and nurse bunches when he is with you. 18 oz of pumping a day is nothing to sneeze at. smile most of us would be super pleased with that.

Texas
M
mommy1+ Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Texas
I normally do not pump on the weekends. My baby knows that when momma is around, the bottle is gone. I will be changing from 2 15 mintues to 3 10s. So it would be better to cut the 2 pumps shorter, - even though my milk continues to flow?

Idaho
Idaho
Do you have any problem keeping up with him on the weekends? If not then I would stay with what is working for you. Typically more often is better, but it is also important to empty your breasts. I say it is your call.

Texas
M
mommy1+ Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Texas
we do fine on the weekends, but thank you-- I will be making that extra pump during my work schedule to help.

I also have another question,

When it comes time for me to have another child, is there anything that I could take before birth to help the process move along easier? I'm asking because this is my first child and I had such a hard time getting started,but I did not give up and also because a friend of mine is due in about 6 weeks and has been asking me questions regarding my experience with breastfeeding.

Idaho
Idaho
The biggest thing I would suggest to you & your friend is get with a board certified lactation consultant. And keep going back until you are through every hurdle. They are there to help and it is so important to get off to a good start. A good latch is key and having an LC right away to help you latch then having your latch checked again once your milk comes in. Nursing on demand and no less than every 2-2.5 hours during the day. Establishing the milk from the start takes dedication but is so much easier than trying to correct problems later.

Texas
M
mommy1+ Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Texas
thank you!

S
experienced member
experienced member
S
I used Lansinoh on my nipples twice a day during the last weeks of my pregnancy. Since I had previously taught basic breastfeeding to new moms, I had some skills at latching. So, whether it was the lansinoh or good technique, I don't know, but I had only one crack in one nipple during the first weeks. So I'd say do the lansinoh. (Since it leaves grease on your clothes, I put toilet paper in my bra after I put it on.)

As far as the herbs are concerned. My LC just came back from a conference where they said galactogogues should not be taken without a prolactin level first. If your level is low, then the galactogogues can increase your milk supply, but if your prolactin level starts out in the normal level, you could actually raise your level high enough that you could decrease your milk supply. I'd talk to a knowledgeable lactation consultant before taking supplements.

18 ounces is amazing. When I was working every other weekend, 12 hours each day, I had limitless time to pump. Plus I had a really good supply since most of the time I was with my baby. I usually nursed right before and after work and pumped 3 times during my 12 hours. I was lucky to get 10 or maybe (on a good day) 12 ounces.

Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi Second,

Thank you for this information. Most of the moms on this forum are inducing lactation and would not have high enough prolactin levels to inhibit the galactogogue response. Also, prolactin levels are not generally ordered for women who are not pregnant or who have not given birth and so very difficult to obtain. It may be relevant for birth moms but our experience at our clinic in Montreal has been that the vast majority of mothers who experience low milk supply and for whom retained placental fragments or other physical causes of low milk supply have been ruled out (Sheehan's, PCOS), do benefit greatly from the use of galactogogues. Your point is well taken that it's important to rule out medical issues, take a proper history, and fix the latch first before running to the pills.

Best, Lenore

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
S
experienced member
experienced member
S
This thread was started by a biological mother who is taking fenugreek and blessed thistle. Most of the respondents are encouraging additional pumping, which is good. I think it would be helpful to biological mothers if respondents would warn them that galactogoues could be problematic and that they should consult with a healthcare provider that can assess their prolactin levels and whatever other physical issues that may be appropriate.

Idaho
Idaho
Second I am the one who was giving advice to this Mom. She wanted to know about side effects of the herbs to the baby. As well as how to boost her supply. I also needed to establish which I did at the end of page one what her current situation was and if this was a biological child. After that all of my advice was in regards to pumping and nursing as often as possible. In regards to future children I pointed to establishing a good latch and developing a good supply from the beginning by using an LC. I agree that not all Mom's need herbs or other glactogues (sp) I didn't see these posts as encouraging her in that regard.

S
experienced member
experienced member
S
I didn't mean to imply that you were encouraging her in regards to herbs etc. I apologize if my wording implied that. I know most of what you did was encourage pumping and how to adjust that around her needs to increase her supply. I just thought that this mom might want to know the current reserach on galactagogues. I know I would.

Texas
M
mommy1+ Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Texas
I would like to say thank you to both of you. I truly appreciate all information that you both have given me. I do want to be informed of new research outcomes and I do understand that I must consult with an LC here in my area, as I have been. Thank you again.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.