References for: Causes, evaluation, and treatment.
Medscape Women’s Health 1998 May;3(3):2 (ISSN: 1521-2076) Bick RL; Madden J; Heller KB; Toofanian A
Thrombosis Clinical Center, Department of Medicine (Hematology & Oncology), Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas, Tex., USA.
- Gardner RJM, Sutherland GR: Chromosome abnormalities and genetic counseling, 2nd edition. New York, Oxford University Press, 1996, pp 59-190, 248, 313-317.
- Wolf GC, Horger EO 3rd: Indications for examination of spontaneous abortion specimens: A reassessment. Am J Obstet Gynecol 173(5):1364-8, 1995.
- Lippe B: Turner syndrome. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 20(1):121-152, 1991.
- Lippman-Hand A: Genetic counseling and human reproductive loss, in Porter IH, Hook EH (eds): Human Embryonic and Fetal Death. New York, Academic Press, 1980, p. 303.
- Boue A, Boue J, Gropp A: Cytogenetics of pregnancy wastage, in Harris H, Hirschhorn K (eds): Advances in Human Genetics. New York, Plenum Press, 1985, pp 30-31.
- Coulam CB: Unexplained recurrent pregnancy loss: Epilogue. Clin Obstet Gynecol 29(4):999-1004, 1986.
- Daniel A, Hook EB, Wulf G: Risks of unbalanced progeny at amniocentesis to carriers of chromosome rearrangements. Am J Med Genet 33:14-53, 1989.
- Hsu LYF: Prenatal diagnosis of chromosomal abnormalities through amniocentesis, in Milunsky (ed): Genetic Disorders and the Fetus, ed 3. Baltimore, Johns Hopkins University Press, 1992, p 160.
- Duckert F: The fibrin stabilizing factor, Factor XIII. Blut 26(3):177-179, 1973.
- Schved JF, Gris JC, Neveu S, et al: Factor XII congenital deficiency and early spontaneous abortion. Fertil Steril 52(2):335-336, 1989.
- Mammen EF: Congenital abnormalities of the fibrinogen molecule. Semin Thromb Hemost 1:184-189, 1974.
- Scott JR, Rote NS, Branch DW: Immunologic aspects of recurrent abortion and fetal death. Obstet Gynecol 70(4):645-656, 1987.
- Sartori MT, Viero M, Boeri G, et al: Thrombotic diathesis in 6 out of 14 new cases of type I plasminogen deficiency. Thromb Haemost 69:1257, 1993.
- Gris JC, Neveu S, Mares P, et al: Plasma fibrinolytic activators and their inhibitors in women suffering from early recurrent abortion of unknown etiology. J Lab Clin Med 125(5):606-615, 1993.
- Patrassi GM, Sartori MT, Ruffatti A, et al: Fibrinolytic disorders and recurrent abortions: No relationship with antiphospholipid antibodies. Thromb Haemost 69:1271, 1993.
- Bick RL, Laughlin HR, Cohen BM, et al: Fetal wastage syndrome due to blood protein/platelet defects: Results of prevalence studies and treatment outcome with low-dose heparin and low-dose aspirin. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost 1:286-292, 1995.
- Dahlback B: Inherited thrombophilia: Resistance to activated protein C as a pathogenic factor of venous thromboembolism. Blood 85(3):607-614, 1995.
- Bick RL, Baker WF: Antiphospholipid and thrombosis syndromes. Semin Thromb Hemost 20(1):3-15, 1994.
- Bick RL, Baker WF: The antiphospholipid and thrombosis syndromes. Med Clin North Am 78(3):667-684, 1994.
- Sher G, Feinman M, Zouves C, et al: High fecundity rates following in-vitro fertilization and embryo transfer in antiphospholipid antibody seropositive women treated with heparin and aspirin. Hum Reprod 9:2278-2283, 1994.
- Bick RL, Baker WF: Anticardiolipin antibodies and thrombosis. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 6:1287-1299, 1992.
- Bick RL, Pegram M: Syndromes of hypercoagulability and thrombosis: A review. Semin Thromb Hemost 20:109-132, 1994.
- Brown HL: Antiphospholipid antibodies and recurrent pregnancy loss. Clin Obstet Gynecol 34:17-26, 1991.
- Perino A, Barba G, Cimino C, et al: Immunological problems in the recurrent abortion syndrome. Acta Eur Fertil 20:199-202, 1989.
- Many A, Pauzner R, Carp H, et al: Treatment of patients with antiphospholipid antibodies during pregnancy. Am J Reprod Immunol 28:216-218, 1992.
- Lubbe WF, Liggins GC: Role of lupus anticoagulant and autoimmunity in recurrent fetal loss. Semin Reprod Endocrinol 6:181, 1988.
- Lin QD: Investigation of the association between autoantibodies and recurrent abortions. Chinese J Obstet Gynecol 28:674-677, 1993.
- Cowchock FS, Reece EA, Balaban D, et al: Repeated fetal losses associated with antiphospholipid antibodies: A collaborative randomized trial comparing prednisone with low-dose heparin treatment. Am J Obstet Gynecol 166:1318-1323, 1992.
- Landy HJ, Kessler C, Kelly WK, et al: Obstetric performance in patients with the lupus anticoagulant and/or anticardiolipin antibodies. Am J Perinatol 9:146-151, 1992.
- Semprini AE, Vucetich A, Garbo S, et al: Effect of prednisone and heparin treatment in 14 patients with poor reproductive efficiency related to lupus anticoagulant. Fetal Ther 4(suppl 1):S73-S76, 1989.
- Rosove MH, Tabsh K, Wasserstrum N, et al: Heparin therapy for pregnant women with lupus anticoagulant or anticardiolipin antibodies. Obstet Gynecol 75:630-634, 1990.
- Kuttah WH: Heparin plus aspirin (Hep + ASA) is superior to aspirin alone (ASA) for the treatment of recurrent pregnancy loss (RPL) associated with antiphospholipid antibodies. Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the American College Obstetricians & Gynecologists, 1994. Abstract.
- Parke, A: The role of IVIG in the management of patients with antiphospholipid antibodies and recurrent pregnancy losses, in Ballow M (ed): IVIG Therapy Today. Totowa, NJ, Humana Press, 1992, pp 105-118.
- Herbst AL, Scully RE: Adenocarcinoma of the vagina in adolescence: A report of seven cases including six clear cell carcinomas (so-called mesonephromas). Cancer 25:745-757, 1970.
- Zilianti M, Azuaga A, Calderon F, et al: Monitoring the effacement of the uterine cervix by transperineal sonography: A new perspective. J Ultrasound Med 14:719-724, 1995.
- Shirodkar VN: A method of operative treatment for habitual abortion in the second trimester of pregnancy. Antiseptic 52:299, 1955.
- McDonald IA: Suture of the cervix for unsuitable miscarriage. J Obstet Gynaecol Br Emp 64:346, 1957.
- Novy MJ: Transabdominal cervicoisthmic cerclage for the management of repetitive abortion and premature delivery. Am J Obstet Gynecol 143:44-54, 1982.
- Andrews MC, Jones HW Jr: Impaired reproductive performance of the unicornuate uterus: Intrauterine growth retardation, infertility, and recurrent abortion in five cases. Am J Obstet Gynecol 144:173, 1982.
- Daly DC, Maier D, Soto-Alber RS: Hysteroscopic metroplasty: 6 years' experience. Obstet Gynecol 73:201-205, 1989.
- Neuwirth RS: Hysteroscopic management of symptomatic submucous fibroids. Obstet Gynecol 62:509-511, 1983.
- March CM, Israel R: Gestational outcome following hysteroscopic lysis of adhesions. Fertil Steril 36:455-459, 1981.
- Speroff L, Glass RH, Kase NG: Clinical Gynecologic Endocrinology and Infertility, ed 5. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1994, pp 827-829.
- Regan L, Owen EJ, Jacobs HS: Hypersecretion of luteinizing hormone, infertility and miscarriage. Lancet 336:1141-1144, 1990.
- Clifford K, Rai R, Watson H, et al: Does suppressing luteinizing hormone secretion reduce the miscarriage rate? Results of a randomized controlled trial. Br Med J 312:1508-1511, 1993.
Dr. Bick is Director, Thrombosis Clinical Center, Department of Medicine (Hematology & Oncology), Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas, Tex., and Professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Tex.
Dr. Madden and Dr. Toofanian are in the Department of Obstetrics/Gynecology, Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas.
Ms. Heller is Director, Genetic Counseling Associates, Dallas, Tex.
If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.
Donate online: canadahelps.org
Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.
© 2002-2018 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.